Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Whinge whinge whinge 2

Yeah, I'm whinging again. Seems to be a semi-permanent condition.

The Dell computer has been taken to the local "PC fireman," who seems to be quite competent. "Oh, yeah," he said on reading my Denglish(TM) description of what it had done, "sounds like a Master Boot Sector error. Have it up and running in no time. How does tomorrow sound?" I had expected it to take a wee bit longer.

But... I got a phone call from him this afternoon, when he had thought he could have it back to me, and it seems there's a little problem. He sucked all the files off and archived them, re-loaded Windows, re-loaded all my data files (Yay! I am SO happy. Can you say, "IT professional's kid didn't do a back-up" ?), and tested it. It seemed to be doing OK, but then it threw some other Blue Screen of Death, different from its first one. This is not a good sign.

On the positive side: on August 8 I reach the "6 years in Europe" milestone. The 5-year mark passed without celebration last year, mainly because when it came around I was in a VERY bad mood and didn't feel like slaving in the kitchen to feed the people I work with.

It's very interesting; I had talked to several long-term expats, and a common them was that the 5th year is perhaps the hardest of them all. I'll agree with that! Although there have been some bumps along the way during this, the 6th year, it pales in comparison to last year.

Hey, is there anybody at all out there? Drop me a line. Leave a comment. Do something. Please???

Before I forget: GO, LANCE!!!!! Yeehah, he's back in the yellow jersey!

Currently reading: just finished Lion of Ireland, Morgan Llewelyn, about Brian Boru, the first true High King of Ireland. Man, she tells a good story!
Currently hearing: CNN, from the living room.
Current cat activity: Sophie, trying not to fall asleep. Charl, lying in the hall trying to persuade me to put down the computer and come rub his fat tummy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home