Monday, June 13, 2005

Gee, Toto, I think we're in Kansas?

You would think that I'd be excited about going to the US on the company dime, wouldn't you? Especially since those of us who fly from headquarters here in Germany fly business class, and it turns out... wait for it... that the best connection to get from here to Kansas is via ORD on the Lufthansa / PrivatAir connection. Which is an A319 with only 48 seats. Man, are we livin' the good life! And considering that my colleagues going to Kansas from France are flying coach through FRA and ORD, I shouldn't be whinging.

But I am. I don't want to go. 13 hours trapped on a plane with my boss? No thank you. And Kansas City in the middle of tornado season? Who dreamed this one up? Probably the same one who scheduled a meeting for North Carolina last fall in the middle of hurricane season. That would be the meeting that only lasted one day instead of two because, golly gee, they had a hurricane come through. Who woulda thunk it?

Well, I'm taking my NaNoNonsense on board with me, and hopefully I'll be able to get at least some writing done on it. Hey, I've got another 3K words typed! That brings me up to a whole 27K and change. Not bad for the 50K I had planned to write last November. And I've got my newest toy, my new iPod, all loaded and ready to go. 7 days and 11 hours worth of music? I should be able to find something to listen to. As long as there's not been any fights breaking out between the musicians: Willie Nelson, Placido Domingo, Sam Ramey, Pavarotti, U2, The Chieftains, The Corrs, Chris LeDoux, and more Irish / Scottish musicians than you can shake a wire-strung harp at.

And speaking of... I think my harp teacher has finally given up on me. Haven't heard from him in ages. I don't blame him, he'd probably prefer a student who actually practices once in a while. Haven't gotten the poor harp out of its travel case since, gee, April? Maybe when I get home from Kansas. IF I get home from Kansas. Adios, amigos!

Currently reading: Hidden Prey, John Sandford. Not bad, although perhaps a bit contrived. He's a good author, though.
Currently hearing: nothing.
Current cat activity: sulking in the front hall next to my suitcase. Not surprising; they sulk whenever I leave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home